Thursday, March 24, 2011

Socialization Agents

Groups that shape us to who we are today. These groups influence everything in our daily lives from what we wear to school to what we believe in. The thing is, we don't even think about these groups as often as we should and what kind of affect they have on our lives as well as my own. To me, there are 3 very distinctive agents of socialization that have the greatest impact on my life.
What i think is probably the most important agent is Family. As soon as we are born we are brought into this world with our whole family, mom, dad, brother(s) or sister(s). These people right away love us and this is something really special. In my own life my family is very big on soccer so ultimately my favorite sport is soccer and that is what i have grown up playing as my main sport.
A second very important socialization agent is School. Around the age of 3-5 we are brought into preschool or kindergarten. And from there it does not stop sometimes as late as your mid twenties. In school we are taught many of the basic skills such as math, reading, and writing but there are somethings that are not part of the school agenda that we learn as well. These would be the latent lessons, such as patriotism and consumerism. In my life for as long as i can remember my first class of the day would start off by standing up and reciting the pledge of allegiance.
The third most influential group on a persons life as well as my own would be the Work group. As we grow up we see that one of our even both of our parents have a job and work to provide and support the family. The work that they do defines who they are whether they are a fire fighter, police officer, or a teacher. And in these select jobs comes hard work and dedication. In my own life i was always taught to always work hard and that nothing comes easy especially since my father came from Italy at 14 years old and worked from the bottom up to be where he is now as a grocery store owner. His work values have rubbed off on me creating me as the person i am today.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing blog.. I think I am agree with you that family is the most important agent in life. I like the way you explain about family, school, and work. I think We might know that what group we effect of but sometimes it just take long time to see how well are we connected. GOOD JOB. :)

    ReplyDelete