Thursday, March 10, 2011

What Am I?

In class the other day, Sal was telling us a story about how he was in Italy. Before his experience there he always considered himself as an Italian, his family was Italian and he had an Italian heritage and Italian in his blood. But that all soon changed. While he was in Italy, he was speaking to this one man and Sal said that he as well was Italian, the man laughed and said no your not your American. At first Sal was very confused because he had always considered himself to be an Italian but the man then said your grandfather might be Italian but you are an American. And once that was said Sal looked at himself and saw what he was wearing different from the rest of the people there. I can relate greatly to this because I also have Italian heritage. Both my mother and father were born and raised in Sicily. So naturally I had always considered myself to be Italian although being born in America. Like Sal, when I went to Italy to visit family, I was known to them as their American cousin. To them I wasnt Italian, I wasnt born there, I havent ever lived there, and I was not used to their customs and ways of living. Not many consider themselves to be American when asked what they are and this is because of our ancestory. So with this in mind, what are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment