Thursday, May 5, 2011

High School Class

No matter where you go every high school is filled with many different cliques. In class this past week we were talking about how social class affects what kind of people one associates themselves with and how different cliques are viewed by society and by other cliques. The two most prevalent cliques in every high school is the popular kids and the nerds. Both of these groups are very well stereotyped. The nerds think that the popular kids are all rich and snobby, and the popular kids think that the nerds are all smart and for some poor. In the video we watched in class it was easy to see what kids fell into what kind of groups. And every single group based their opinions on one another just by the way they look, not by what kind of person they actually are. Even in shs this kind of thing happens. As you walk down the hall it is easy to spot out which kid belongs in which group. I myself try to avoid "judging a book by its cover". I play sports so in part i could be called a jock but in other aspects my grades would reflect that of a nerd. I try to keep myself as well rounded and well liked as possible to avoid the typical stereotype of a popular kid or nerd. I feel that if every high school student had time to talk to kids from different groups they would see that they are all not so bad.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that most of the time we judge other kids by how they look rather than who they are. Most time we don't even know who those kids are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that at most high schools there are distinct cliques that people can easily place you in, just by glancing at you. I like how you connected this topic to our school and your own personal life.

    ReplyDelete